Her Hands

It's warm, but there she is
In the corner trying to warm herself.
It's another summer night,
One that looms softly
Until you fall into dream's lap.

​I see her wrapped in a shawl,
Still distant.
Face and hands pale,
With little hint of blood in them,
Her breath turning to fog.

​I kneel down, as I whisper,
"It's okay, dear."
Her hands trembling,
Eyes exhausted,
Rough hair covering her face.

​My hands move,
And recoil from the coldness in hers,
Then softly my fingers find themselves
Greeting her hesitant ones,
Her small, frail ones.

​I can feel her hands calming down.
Mine accepting, holding her frozen ones firmly.
I feel their twitches, their coldness seeping in,
Slowly melting away.
Shimmers of life dropping down from her eyes.

​Minutes pass by, hand in hand, sitting across from each other.
Small glances and tired smiles are all she passes.
In this silence, I can feel her heart pumping away.
As I move my hands to grip hers more,
I see my fingerprints slowly etching themselves in hers.
Her breath steadier now.

​It was a long, slow night.
She would tell a little, then think a lot, only to resume.
All the while, mine caressed hers just as softly as her voice.
I didn't understand a word,
But I listened to it all.
A.V

Comments

Popular Posts

The Last Night and The First Day

Ministry of Chai and ISL

Kavita